Monday, October 5, 2009

A few more quotes




I've been so, so, busy. So busy, in fact, that I've only been able to read snap and flash fiction (woe is me).

Which is where I found these:

"POSTMODERN
You are reading
SATIRE
You are reading in a clown suit
SCI-FI
You are reading in a spaceship
SPECULATIVE
You do not exist in a spaceship
REVISION
We've been through this before"
--Deb Ulin Unferth

And from David Eggers:

"Well then, they ask again, what does air feel like? And we have to think about this. Air feels like air, we say, and the fishes laugh mirthlessly. Think! they say. Think, they say, now gentler. And we think and we guess that it feels like hair, thousands of hairs, swaying ever so slightly in breezes microscopic. The fishes laugh again. Do better, think harder, they say. It feels like language, we say, and they are impressed...The air is like being wanted, we say, and they nod approvingly. The air is like getting older they say, and they touch our arms gently."

From How the Water Feels to the Fishes

I'm also a big fan of this one (Eggers again):

"In a moment of clarity you finally understand why boxers, who want so badly to hurt each other, can rest their hands on the shoulders of their opponent, can lean against one another like tired lovers, so thankful for a moment of rest."

and

"81

When the cannibal zombies come, the weakest die first. I turn off the film and think about my life. It is made of fear now. I begin running long distances, lifting weights, and training my mind to calm me in times of great stress. I work harder at my job, clear my apartment of clutter, and organize my finances. My friends have not watched the film. They praise my newfound strength and health."

- Sarah Manguso

They're all available in the McSweeney's box of short-short stories. (go check out their killer garage sale, going on now...if you haven't already)

No comments:

Post a Comment